Microsoft recently introduced a new feature of commenting in SharePoint Online lists and Microsoft lists. Using this feature users will be able to add and delete comments on list items. Users can view all comments on a list item and filter between views that show comments or activity related to an item in details pane.
Microsoft has started rolling out this feature to all SharePoint Online tenants in December 2020 release, see Roadmap.
Where can you find Comments options?
Comments options are currently located at below three places in SharePoint Online/Microsoft lists:
Users can see which list items have comments when they access the SharePoint Online list view or Microsoft list home page. Comments option will be shown on command bar when you select a list item as well as at the right hand side of Title column. When you hover over on comments icon it will show you the count of comments added to the list item.
By default, users will see a new comments pane alongside the list item form when they access a list. Users can toggle the comment pane visibility by clicking the comments icon. When you hide comments, the pane does not collapse. The comments pane will be closed by default for lists customized by Power Apps.
Users can see the Comments and All activity related to list item on details pane. Users can filter views that show comments or activity by using the dropdown under “More details” section.
Comments follow the permission settings inherent in SharePoint Online and Microsoft Lists.
- Users with read-only permission can only view comments.
- Those with list edit permission can make comments as well as delete comments; editing comments is currently not possible.
Where the Comments will be stored?
Comments are stored in the schema for each list, which is based on the SharePoint storage platform.
Working with SharePoint REST APIs
As comments are stored within the list schema itself and not with list items, it is not possible to fetch comments using
/items endpoint. However, you can get the list item comments using below endpoint:
https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<site>/_api/web/lists/getbytitle('<list-name>')/GetItemById(<item-id>)/Comments() //OR https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<site>/_api/web/lists/getbytitle('<list-name>')/items(<item-id>)/Comments()
For more information on working with comments using SharePoint REST APIs, check:
- GET SharePoint list item comments using REST API
- Add Comments on list item using SharePoint REST API
- Delete Comments from list item using SharePoint REST API
Working with JSON Formatting
Currently it is not possible to get the actual list item comments value using JSON formatting. But, you can get the count of comments added to list item using
Check how you can get comments count and show it in SharePoint list view here.
- Editing comments is currently not possible.
- Any user can delete the list item comments. Currently there is no way to disable deletion of comments.
- Classic lists that are not yet built to show up in modern user interfaces, like Task lists, will not have this commenting feature.
- Commenting on lists in Teams is not available with this release.
- Comments are not indexed by Search.
Currently it is not possible to disable commenting at the site or list level. Microsoft is working on the new feature which will allow users to enable/disable the comments for individual SharePoint lists. However, Admins can enable/disable this feature at the organization level by changing the
CommentsOnListItemsDisabled parameter in the Set-SPOTenant PowerShell cmdlet:
Read more about how to enable/disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists here.
- Currently it is not possible to disable commenting at the site or list level. Microsoft is currently working on this feature update.
- @mentions in comments:
- Get a colleague’s attention to an item in a list by @mentioning them within list comments. That person will receive a notification and a link that takes them directly back to the item, to review the comment and take the requested action.
I hope you liked this blog. Give your valuable feedback & suggestions in the comments section below and share this blog with others.